Five people have been arrested in connection with Sasha Johnson shooting
The Metropolitan police have arrested five people “on suspicion of the attempted murder” of Sasha Johnson, who sustained a gunshot wound to her head on Sunday morning in Southwark, London. On Tuesday, police said that “there is nothing to suggest Sasha was the victim of a targeted attack.”
At around 15:50hrs on Tuesday, 25 May, officers from the Violence Suppression Unit based in Southwark and Lambeth stopped a 17-year-old man [A]. Following a search, he was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and possession with intent to supply class A drugs.
Further investigations led officers to an address in Peckham where three further males were arrested.
[B] aged 18; [C] aged 19 and [D] aged 28 were all arrested on suspicion of affray and possession with intent to supply class B drugs.
A fifth man – [E] aged 25 – was arrested later that evening following a police pursuit of a car in Peckham. He was arrested on suspicion of affray and failing to stop for police.
All five have since been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remain in custody.
Searches are ongoing at two residential addresses in Peckham and in relation to the car that was stopped.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard from the Met’s Specialist Crime who leads the investigation said: “While the investigation remains in its early stages, these arrests show that progress is being made. However, I would continue to appeal to those who may hold information about the events that led to Sasha receiving her horrific injuries, or about those responsible, to do the right thing and come forward and speak to police.”
Superintendent Kris Wright, from the Central South Command Unit, responsible for policing in Southwark and Lambeth said: “These arrests are the result of instinctive local police work, combined with fast-time intelligence gathering, and shows the effectiveness of the various police teams in the Met working together.
“Local officers, supported by specialist teams, will continue to be in and around the Peckham area in the coming days and I continue to urge anyone with concerns to engage with them.”
The investigation was launched after officers were called shortly before 03:00hrs on Sunday, 23 May following reports of gunshots in Consort Road, SE15.
They attended with London Ambulance Service paramedics. They found a 27-year-old woman who had been shot. She has been named as Sasha Johnson.
Sasha was taken by ambulance to a south London hospital where she remains in a critical condition. Her family have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.
At this early stage work continues to establish a motive but there is nothing to suggest that Sasha was the subject of a targeted attack. At this time, police are also not aware of any reports of threats made against her prior to the incident.
A man – believed aged in his 20s – also suffered a superficial knife injury during the incident. He attended hospital and was discharged following treatment.
At this time, no other injuries have been reported.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD1172/23MAY.
Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.